[SNEC] John Belt Award; Geometry of Thinking Class; and more

Tue May 1 15:59:40 EDT 2012

Congratulations to John Belt, a founding member of the
Synergetics Collaborative, who recently received a 2012
Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching from The State
University of New York.  Read more in this news release:
http://www.oswego.edu/news/index.php/site/news_story/teaching_awards_2012

A non-free on-line course on the "Geometry of Thinking" will run from 29
May through 6 August (10 weeks).  The course is offered by The Minneapolis
College of Art and Design as part of their "Sustainable Design" program.
The course will be taught by frequent Synergetics Collaborative attendee
Curt McNamara.  Registration is open now.  Early registration ends 14 May.
Course Description:
At a fundamental level, sustainability is working with nature by
integrating our activities into natural cycles. In this class, students
will learn how natural systems can inform design and practice. Weekly
assignments will cover the principles of design science, the geometry
of nature, and the ways to put these principles to work. Required
Textbooks: Bucky Works: Buckminster Fuller's Ideas for Today, Baldwin
(ISBN: 0471198129); Your Private Sky, Fuller (ISBN: 3907044886).
More information and registration:
http://mcad.edu/continuing-education/sustainable-design/geometry-thinking-summer-2012

George Mokray sent me this interesting link (with videos): Free
Universal construction kit lets you link ten different construction
toys: Lego, Duplo, Fischertechnik, Gears! Gears! Gears!, K'Nex,
Krinkles (Bristle Blocks), Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, Zome, and Zoob.
http://fffff.at/free-universal-construction-kit/

A team of researchers led by Jongmin Shim, Katia Bertoldi, and Pedro
Reis developed the "buckliball" as a new form of collapsible structure.
They cite Synergetics and Joe Clinton's work in their paper in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).  More information
is in the MIT news release:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/buckliball-collapsible-structure-0326.html
There is a short 33 second YouTube video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdWa8aIqno
A copy of the PNAS paper can be downloaded from
Bertoldi's web site (it is pretty technical):
http://www.bertoldi.seas.harvard.edu/publications/2012/PNAS2012.pdf

Reminder:  We are especially inviting Synergetics related topics
for the event "ReVIEWING Black Mountain College 4: Looking
Forward at Buckminster Fuller's Legacy" to be held from 28-30
September 2012 in Asheville, NC.  The deadline for submitting
400-600 word abstracts for the Call for Papers and Proposals is
30 June 2012.  Read more on our landing page:
http://synergeticscollaborative.org/snec.announce.event.2012.09.html

The Synergetics Collaborative (SNEC) is a 501(c)(3) educational
and scientific non-profit organization.  To make a tax deductible
contribution, please mail a check to
   Synergetics Collaborative
   240 Copley Road
   Upper Darby, PA 19082-4016

--
The most important fact about Spaceship Earth:
an instruction manual didn't come with it.