[SNEC] New Video: Marvin Solit on Hierarchy of Polyvertexia

Tue Dec 14 17:15:53 EST 2010

Thanks to videographer Victor Acevedo we now have a clip of the late
Dr. Marvin Solit on "Hierarchy of Polyvertexia (Polyhedra)" on-line.
Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEHanKNSrho

This video assumes knowledge of some technical geometry vocabulary.
Here is a partial glossary with links to Wikipedia:
 - Vector Equilibrium is Bucky's name for the cuboctahedron:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_equilibrium
 - 30-verti is Marvin's name for the icosidodecahedron:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30-verti
 - The dodecahedron, icosahedron, cube and octahedron are "platonic solids":
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid
 - Compound of five cubes:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_of_five_cubes

Marvin's work will be a theme at our 22 & 23 January 2011 event in
Cambridge, MA next month.  You can find out more about that event at
http://synergeticscollaborative.org/snec.announce.meeting.2011.01.html

Please register for the January event at
http://synergeticscollaborative.org/registration.01.2011.html

Also, the material in this video is very relevant to the theme
selected for the Third Design Science Symposium which we are
organizing in November 2011.  More information about that event is at
http://synergeticscollaborative.org/snec.announce.meeting.2011.11.html

I look forward to seeing everyone next month in Cambridge, MA at
the special event which includes seeing a performance of the play
"R. Buckminster Fuller: THE HISTORY (and Mystery) OF THE UNIVERSE"
written and directed by D. W. Jacobs, a geometry activity with
George Hart of the Museum of Mathematics, and a Discussion/Seminar
"Building on the Work of Marvin Solit".  Check out the event home page:
http://synergeticscollaborative.org/snec.announce.meeting.2011.01.html

--
How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.
--- Anne Frank