[SNEC] Sixth Annual Summer Workshop: Build a Dome for Bucky's Birthday
cjf at Synergeticists.org
Wed Apr 2 18:37:26 EDT 2008
Synergetics Collaborative (SNEC)
* * * Workshop on Geodesic Structures * * *
in Oswego, NY, 11-14 July 2007
Geodesic Structures: Build a Dome for Bucky's Birthday
The Synergetics Collaborative's Sixth Annual Summer Workshop in Oswego
will focus on "Geodesic Structures: Build a Dome for Bucky's Birthday".
Included among a distinguished group of individuals that will guide the
* Thomas Zung, partner of Buckminster Fuller, Sadao and Zung
Architects; Board member, Synergetics Collaborative
* Blair F. Wolfram, President of Dome Inc.
* John Belt, Department of Technology SUNY Oswego; Vice President &
President-Elect, Synergetics Collaborative
* Joseph D. Clinton, President of Clinton International Design
Consultants; President, Synergetics Collaborative
Topics to be covered in the workshop:
* History of geodesic structures.
* History of Fuller, Sadao and Zung Architectural Projects.
* Introduction to light and commercial geodesic structures.
* Definitions and geometry of geodesic topology.
* Form finding and analysis design tools as applied to geodesic
* Commercial construction methods and techniques
The workshop will consist of an interweaving of presentations, open
discussions, photo displays, patents and architectural detail parts
exhibit, and participants' displays for a Comprehensive Anticipatory
Design Science Solution for an ecologically friendly shelter. Monday,
14 July 2008, the last day of the workshop, will be devoted to
building a dome(s) to celebrate R. Buckminster Fuller's birthday.
Friday 11 July 2008, 8AM - 9PM
Saturday 12 July 2008, 8AM - 9PM
Sunday 13 July 2008, 8AM - 9PM
Monday 14 July 2008, 8AM - 9PM
Department of Technology, Design Studio
Wilber Hall, Design Studio, Room 350
Oswego, NY 13126-3155
Workshop Registration deadline:
1 June 2008
Please fill out this Registration Form (Please register to
ensure your place among the maximum of 30 people for this event):
Event Home Page:
Design a shelter for a family of your choosing in a location of your
choosing. The shelter must incorporate a geodesic dome with the
* Ecologically friendly.
* Illustrates its ability to provide comfort utilizing the natural
resources available within the local community.
* Demonstrates self-sufficiency as a system with least impact on the
* Demonstrates freedom from harm to anyone or the environment.
* Assists the inhabitants and local community in providing energy and
food needs with the least impact on the community and the
Entry deadline: 27 June 2008
Exhibition date: Concurrent with the Workshop
Entries are to be submitted to Joseph D. Clinton at Jclinton at kennett.net
in one or more of the following image formats: Image.jpg, Image.tiff,
Adobe.pdf, PowerPoint.ppt, Word.doc, no later than the entry deadline.
The display entries are to be on a single display panel no larger than
90cm X 120cm (36" X 48"), delivered and set-up in person on the first
day (July 11) of the workshop.
One of the submitted displays will be spotlighted during the exhibit.
The workshop attendance fee will be waived for the person entering the
All entrants will be given the opportunity to further explain their
solution during the course of the workshop.
By entering a solution display, the submitter gives SNEC permission
to publish the display on the SNEC website and in other formats
appropriate for distribution of the workshop materials.
Design Solution Poster:
We are on a spaceship; a beautiful one. It took billions of years to develop.
We're not going to get another. Now, how do we make this spaceship work?
-- Buckminster Fuller
CJ Fearnley | Executive Director
cjf at Synergeticists.org | Synergetics Collaborative
http://www.Synergeticists.org | "Dare to be Naive" -- Bucky Fuller
More information about the SNEC